Wednesday 10 July 2013

Makeup for The Moods Video of Silky Filter.

Great opportunity today to design makeup for a video for The band The Moods https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-moods-manchester/436899719679485?fref=ts an exciting band which are building up a massive following in Manchester and Salford.
The design brief was to create cuts and bruises for a 'mock' boxing match between band members and a well known and successful boxer called John Murray see pictured below:
 (picture courtesy of Al Stevenson)caption


I packed in advanced and double checked my set bag was fully stocked, before the drive over to Salford where the filming was taken place.  One thing I later realised was the day was a hot one, and I should have packed a sunscreen!
As all makeup artist know, we tend to be given a dark corner, with a bench which substitutes a desk and a low chair for the artists to sit...comfort and lighting are only luxuries!
The filming started with the professional boxer entering the ring ready to fight the first band member..mock punch ups began, I had to take mental notes of where each band member was hit to create realistic bruises, cuts and wounds in the correct area.
Filming was quick and the makeup had to be applied quickly, I was given 20 minutes per band member to create bruises and cuts, so I arranged my SFX makeup in order of application to save time.
Application of KY Jelly to create sweat
I used my bruise pallet for the bruises around the eyes, to create reddening to the skin, which mimicked heat I used my grease paints in red and maroon and blended well.  Sweat was created with the use of KY jelly, applied by light dabbing with my fingers.
For the cuts and bloody noses I used wax and congealed blood, I used grease paints to create reddening and a look of swelling around the cuts and bruises.



After the makeup was applied the band members were filmed again with more mock punch ups, continuous touch ups were required, as some of the punches slightly dislodged some of the applications, it was vital to restore the makeup for the sake of continuity. 




No comments:

Post a Comment